Tuesday, January 3, 2017

BloodGuilt: Short Film Production Diary (Part 1)


Here’s the deal:

I decided to start a production diary for my next short film, BloodGuilt. I wanted a place to chronicle all the challenges I faced, as well as my successes. I also wanted to note down any thoughts I had about improving my process. And this blog seems like the perfect platform to do so. Because, one day, I could look back on these notes and reinforce what I’ve learned about filmmaking, while also getting an overall picture of my journey. Hopefully, you all will get just as much value from this diary as I will.


Look:

This all started a few months ago. I wrote the BloodGuilt script, and rewrote
the script (and rewrote the script again) until I finally got it to a place where all my intentions were being conveyed. To me, this is what the process of screenwriting is all about; rewriting for the sake of your message. The work can be long and tedious, but it’s definitely worth it. So after writing the BloodGuilt script, I set out to create a poster for the film.


How Can You Actually Use This?

Now, you may be asking if a poster is even necessary for an independent short film. And yes, there are those that believe they’re superfluous. However, I believe that having one is extremely important, especially as an indie filmmaker. Because a good enticing poster can help build an audience, create a crew, and raise funding. The poster can also serve as inspiration when times get rough throughout the filmmaking process.


But Here’s the Catch:

Up until that point, I only created one poster for “Creep: An Homage to Classic Horror”. And I created that poster out of the film’s footage after the fact (because I have no art skills whatsoever). So, how was I going to create an enticing poster for BloodGuilt without a frame of footage?

Bottom Line?

I found my answer at fiverr.com (a company I’m not affiliated with) A place where loads of freelancers provide all sorts of digital services, with prices starting at $5. The trick is finding the right freelancer for your project, which can take some time. However, once you find the right person for the job, you’re all set!


That’s Not All…

I was extremely happy with the poster. And no, it isn’t perfect, but it does convey the mood, tone, and emotions of BloodGuilt effectively. Plus, I’ve been able to build an audience, create a crew, and raise some funding.


The Best Part:

The poster only cost me $10! Which isn’t bad for a working poster; a poster that I’ll be replacing with an official poster once I have footage to create one with… [salute]

No comments:

Post a Comment