Friday, December 9, 2016

The Challenges of Creating Careers out of Independent Short Films: Filmmaker Problems

ShortScope "short film" Review Blog: Filmmaker Challenges

Here’s The Deal:

No one believes in you, or in what you’re doing. You’re telling everyone that you’re the next big director and they should check out your short film. But, the ratio of people who look at your work (compared to the people you ask) is nominal, at best.
Then, there are the select few that decide to give your short film a look
(outside of your relatives and close friends). But, those people seem to be other filmmakers/performing artists that are desperately seeking to gain an audience of their own.
So, what do we do?
Do we quit and throw in the metaphoric towel, or do we keep trucking on? Most people would say that the choice is obvious. But, what the hell does trucking on even mean; and what does it consist of? And why is it damn hard to do?

What’s The Real Story?

I think it’s because we’re artists. You see, figuring out how to gain an audience use to be the producer’s job, someone more business oriented. And yes, sometimes it can still work that way, but usually that route consists of groveling on your emotional knees and begging some exec to check out your work. And then, hoping (by some slim chance) that they’ll agree to the trouble/costs of producing it. But forget that! We don’t need to do any of that, anymore. Just like I discussed in my previous blog, we all the have tools needed to make this happen independently.

But There’s a Catch:

We still need that audience. And the truth is I don’t know the magic sauce in gaining one. But, I won’t allow that to stop me. And you shouldn’t either. Here's why... 

I Can’t Emphasize This Enough:

I’m going to keep making short films and marketing them to EVERYONE: family, friends, acquaintances, and even those that call themselves enemies. Because, I know eventually (if I stay consistent) I’m going to look around one day and see my audience. And yeah, that does sound like a lot of effort to be hoping and wishing that it all pans out. But, the strategy reminds me of something I saw about the retired pro-tennis player, Andre Agassi. When his father introduced Agassi to tennis he didn’t go over the forms and techniques of tennis.  He simply told his son to hit the ball, and to hit it hard. His father’s reasoning was that the ball would eventually begin falling inbounds. So like I said…

I Can’t Emphasize This Enough:
I’m going to continue making my films [like 'BloodGuilt'] and marketing them to EVERYONE, because eventually everything is going to fall into place.

The Best Part?

Because I’m choosing to do so, it’s as if I’ve already made it. Meaning, I’ll be doing the thing I’ve always dreamed of doing: [screenwriting, directing, and editing] producing short films and eventually feature films. So, I implore you all to do the same!

But, in the meantime, don’t forget to check out ShortScope… [salute]

No comments:

Post a Comment