Monday, May 22, 2017

Mouse-X – Mystery/Thriller Short Film – ShortScope Review (Formed Filled Productions)




Hello All! 

Welcome to ShortScope where I get you to check out a short!!!

Okay, so as I continue plowing through this BloodGuilt short film edit, I want to make sure that this blog, and its YouTube channel continue to thrive.

Therefore, I’ll be presenting short films on the channel and reviewing them here. I’ve actually started presenting films already - which you can check out here if you haven’t done so already.





However, this will be the first blog review, which will cover my thoughts on Mouse-X, a short film by Justin Tagg.

It's about Anderson, a man that wakes up in a mysterious room, unaware of how he got there. The character must then follow the clues for a fighting chance at his freedom.




All in all, I believe this a solid film. It explores the existential themes of life, and its ultimate question, “What are we doing here?”

The film also contains some good cinematography, as I was particularly impressed with its color palette. The colors chosen really sets the film’s mood, and conveys a feeling that wouldn’t have been present otherwise.




And that is one of the major objectives of an effective color palette, setting a psychological mood and tone for a film. This video goes over cinematic storytelling with color palettes in extensive detail. 


 

I also enjoyed the film’s story, as it had me I looking forward to when I'd be able to put everything together in the end. However, this actually leads me to my dislike.




In the end, I felt that this film should’ve given us more; but that’s not to say that the ending falls flat either. I just would’ve liked more of an explanation.

Now, I know that I’m probably in the minority for my particular tastes endings. Since, I’d rather the filmmaker make a definite statement about their ideologies, instead of just leaving everything up to us (as the audience) to decide.




That way, we can choose to agree (or disagree) with their unique perspectives, and a discussion can take place from there.

But then again, maybe there was a statement given and it just went over my head :-D





Either way, I believe this short film is worth checking out, especially if you enjoy mysteries/thrillers. So, when you get a chance, make sure you do, and let me know what you think in the comments below. [salute]

No comments:

Post a Comment