Monday, March 13, 2017

BloodGuilt: Short Film Production Diary (Part 4) Post-Production



Finally!

We were able to wrap our BloodGuilt short film production. And if you’ve been keeping up with my other posts, you already know how difficult it’s been to get here. We had to rise above
all sorts of challenges to get this short film in the can. But, just like I was told, way back when I decided to get into filmmaking, “This is an industry based on persistence.”

So, if you don’t have the intestinal fortitude to pull YOURSELF up, after being knocked down, DO NOT bother getting into this field, because it’s a marathon of a journey, not a sprint.



But, now that production is over, the real work begins, post production; one of my favorite parts of the filmmaking process — second only to writing. Pulling the film together in editing, is considered to the last great rewrite of the film.

However, I was taught that getting away from the footage for about two weeks or so, makes for a better edit. The reasoning is, you wouldn’t be as emotionally tied to the shots that were so difficult to nail. Therefore, your shot selection would be better when assembling the footage.

I’ve never had the luxury to take two weeks off before editing any other film. So now that I do, I’ll be trying it out:

Well, sort of…



I say sort of because I’m also going to be taking the advice I read in Robert Rodriquez’s filmmaking book, Rebel Without a Crew. He suggests that cutting a trailer together immediately after production can renew your excitement for the project.



I’m also going to be creating the official poster out of our footage. And that poster is going to replace the conceptual art I’ve been using.

The mere thought of putting these materials together has me excited! I can only imagine how elated I’ll feel after the fact!!!

In addition to all of that, I’ll finally be able to straighten out my studio space, which has been a pigsty for the past few weeks. That means I can get back to reviewing films on ShortScope, which I’m also excited about, because it’s been too long.



So, yeah that’s where things are at the moment with BloodGuilt, ShortScope, and the overall short film making journey. So, make sure y’all stay tuned, because there are definitely more updates to come … [salute]


No comments:

Post a Comment